The REAL meaning of personal space
I tend to be fairly well-known for my stories, so I will share about an experience I had at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Monday, February 27th.
So, I already had an HP laptop which I had brought with me from Florida to Covecrest and I decided to bring it back with me in addition to my new MacBook Pro laptop because I was not confident with my Mac skills just yet. So, I brought both of the laptops as carry-ons (I stuck them both in one really rugged laptop case) and tried to keep a low profile. I didn't want the whole world to know I was walking around with two laptops!
Some of you already know how I feel about airport security, or my beloved TSA... I have never been held back for searching and I intend to keep it that way. So, I try to keep things simple when I go through security. I always try to wear flip-flops and try to be as prepared as I can. For those of you that don't already know, TSA requires all passengers to remove laptops and camcorders from carry-on luggage and be place in separate containers to go through the scanner (x-ray). Naturally, I was prepared and I was attempting to get my things settled before walking through the body-length scanner. However, I had a woman behind me in line that was not familiar with the meaning of "personal space." I'll give you a moment to paint the picture.... got it? Okay, great. Let's move on.
So, I remain quiet and "low key" while I remove both laptops from my bag and place them in separate bins while the woman behind me is taking the last of the bins assigned to our security lane. So, as I try to flag down a TSA agent to supply additional bins, she SHOUTS "Oh my gosh! Is that TWO LAPTOPS????" which prompts approximately 60 people to stop their personal security procedures and turn to stare at me with my two laptops. Fantastic. Way to stay "low key."
So, I quietly whisper a "yes" in her general direction and proceed to walk through the scanner to pick up my things on the other side. The agent on the other side watches me as I pick up my jacket and flip flops and as he sees my laptop brigade exit out of the x-ray machine, he says, "Oh, so YOU're the one with the two laptops!"
Hahaha.. I thought you all might enjoy that. I realize I can't physically act it out for ya, but you get the idea. Good times with TSA, as always!
So, I already had an HP laptop which I had brought with me from Florida to Covecrest and I decided to bring it back with me in addition to my new MacBook Pro laptop because I was not confident with my Mac skills just yet. So, I brought both of the laptops as carry-ons (I stuck them both in one really rugged laptop case) and tried to keep a low profile. I didn't want the whole world to know I was walking around with two laptops!
Some of you already know how I feel about airport security, or my beloved TSA... I have never been held back for searching and I intend to keep it that way. So, I try to keep things simple when I go through security. I always try to wear flip-flops and try to be as prepared as I can. For those of you that don't already know, TSA requires all passengers to remove laptops and camcorders from carry-on luggage and be place in separate containers to go through the scanner (x-ray). Naturally, I was prepared and I was attempting to get my things settled before walking through the body-length scanner. However, I had a woman behind me in line that was not familiar with the meaning of "personal space." I'll give you a moment to paint the picture.... got it? Okay, great. Let's move on.
So, I remain quiet and "low key" while I remove both laptops from my bag and place them in separate bins while the woman behind me is taking the last of the bins assigned to our security lane. So, as I try to flag down a TSA agent to supply additional bins, she SHOUTS "Oh my gosh! Is that TWO LAPTOPS????" which prompts approximately 60 people to stop their personal security procedures and turn to stare at me with my two laptops. Fantastic. Way to stay "low key."
So, I quietly whisper a "yes" in her general direction and proceed to walk through the scanner to pick up my things on the other side. The agent on the other side watches me as I pick up my jacket and flip flops and as he sees my laptop brigade exit out of the x-ray machine, he says, "Oh, so YOU're the one with the two laptops!"
Hahaha.. I thought you all might enjoy that. I realize I can't physically act it out for ya, but you get the idea. Good times with TSA, as always!
3 Comments:
At 2:24 PM, March 05, 2006 ,
Anonymous said...
haha. lisa is a losah!! but i gotta say- its not the same when you arent acting it out. then again i can so picture you telling the story, that my imagination has many skills. HA.
love ya!!!!
sam
At 12:35 PM, March 06, 2006 ,
Anonymous said...
Oh goodness gracious! I hate it when stuff like that happens, but props to you for laughing it off! I would have done the same. Just remember Lisa, YOU'RE the one with TWO LAPTOPS!! OMG! ;) crazy people.
At 4:55 PM, March 10, 2006 ,
Anonymous said...
OMG i probably would've smacked that woman and said "WOW you can count!" i can't stand people like that. like my mom buys a lot of cat food and the registers are like, "do you have cats?" no, i just like the fiber in cat food. dumbass! ok done ranting now. but squeriously that's hilarious. and yes i said squerious.
-katay
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home